VINDURO - Forum
August 24, 2014, 05:16:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back to the home of vintage enduro enthusiasts!

Gallery | Youtube | Google | Ebay

Home   Recent Topics Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My next project XR500R  (Read 5307 times)
b490

« on: April 20, 2010, 09:44:33 PM »

Something else to keep me busy   Grin

Brooksie

Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:59:19 PM »

Nice score Steve, pretty tidy ole girl. The fella I used to work with had the same bike. I've seen VRM Racing in The States sells the seat covers and parts are readily available. Seems like a nice little collection growing in your shed there. Wink

Tom68

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 06:53:10 AM »

Fun bike, led a ride on mine at Kinglake on Sunday.
b490

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:54:13 PM »

Cheers Adam,
          I don't think the collection will get too big  ,just 3 bikes (for now Grin)
 300 EXC for trailriding
(now restored ) IT490 for vintage  rides
 XR500R will get done up for vintage rides  too
   Thanks for the tip on where to get parts for the 500R .
    Seems to be an original unit ,with a good running ,quiet motor   ,just a bit shabby & neglected   ;mostly  cosmetically  it would seem  ; should clean up nicely .

Tom 68 ,
Would be interested in some set up tips for these old beasts ;
 what improvements have done to yours ?
  whats the go with reed valve ?  I have heard some blokes toss them out   ;or is it  best to leave in ?
   best jetting  ? Etc
 Not chasing big H/P or anything (but a little more would be nice )  ; just sensible improvements that may be of some benefit
 cheers  Wink

Tom68

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 07:44:25 AM »

Because you can't get good plastics and a lot of engine parts are NLA I decided to do minimum necessary to get running.

Left the reed valves in because they work fine and the engine has plenty of power for the type of riding that I do, that saves rejetting as well. Reed valves out of Kwaka jet ski can be cut down to fit. Got some if you want them

91mm Wossner piston, heaps lighter than std piston but is high comp' so I removed as much of the Dome as possible without weakening the piston, occasional low speed high load ping with premium so I just shift down when it happens.

If I ever pull the rocker box off again I'll make an insert for the cam that will extend through the plug which will be replaced with a seal so I can have a TDC firing stroke marker as it takes to long to find TDC with the auto decomp removing any feel from the first half of the kick start stroke.

Rear suspension standard 75mm loaded sag bottoms on moderate jumps, I'm 73kg + gear and heavy bum bag.

Front end up 67mm through the triples, you need to remount the front gaurd to get the angle right for the tyre to clear, just mess with the spacer order. Standard they poke up in the air.  ATF in forks, I think 150mm from top but can't remember, won't be less than 150 as I run air pressure. 25psi in forks is too soft but is a good balance with the standard rear.

Much better bike than I imagined, 134kg total full of fuel 74 kg on the rear, starts first kick cold, second kick hot. Same weights as my steel tank KDX but doesn't jump flat (KDX jumps very good) always wants to go nose up, damping?

Except for the soft suspension there's more speed in the bike than I'll ever be able to use.
Tom68

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 08:15:04 AM »

Welded a case saver to case, because the swing arm pivot is so far from the sprocket you need to run the chain real loose, since I was scared of dropping a chain I made the case saver.

Haven't dropped a chain yet but took it riding with a CRF450X and he did.
MontyBitza

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 09:37:51 AM »

A little inspiration for you........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-540-TWINSHOCK-MOTOCROSS-HPF-C-J-EVO-CR-RED-ROCKET_W0QQitemZ230463153248QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycles?hash=item35a8aca460

1979 XL 500 S MOTOR,540 HIGH COMP PISTON,36 MM MIKUNI CARB,ALLOY SUMPGUARD,QUALITY ROCKET MUDGUARDS
RED ROCKET TANK AND SEAT,RM 370 ALLOY SWINGARM,43MM MARZOCCHI  FORKS NO RUST .BAR RISERS,EXCELLENT CONDITION 17.5 " FOX REAR SHOCKS,ALLOY SUPERTRAP TAILPIPE,I ALSO HAVE A MEGAPHONE TAILPIPE,MICHELIN S 12 TYRES.
b490

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 09:45:14 PM »

Thanks for the info Tom68 ,
 I will be starting work on the XR soon .
(Taking IT490 out for a ride this weekend . Grin Grin)

Will post up more pics .
             Won't be doing any major mods , as engine looks to be  fairly sound .( Will comp test first up ) .
             Give the machine   a good going over & replace /repair what is needed.  

Real Nice C& J machine on that link MontyBitza ,  need plenty of $$$ to have one of those .  Grin

Tom68

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 08:19:34 AM »

Worth mentioning, balance shaft chain is on the LH side but adjuster is under clutch cover, worth checking whilst you clean oil pump pick up filter.
b490

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 03:52:30 PM »

Tom68 ,
   I did have 1980 XL250S many years ago  , thought  XR500  had similar set up with balancer  & oil screen , so I was going to check all that .
    But thanks again for the tip Wink

Should be a good thing,   with a little time & some $$$ spent.
 Not to keen on the big heavy ,muffler .
 Maybe hunt for a suitable , lighter (2nd hand) replacement .
 Exhaust is not priority , as is in good cond &  the intention of the rebuild is not a Mega $$$ racer , but more of a good ,tidy, reliable , machine to have a bit of fun with ,so I won't be chasing anything  too fla$h for Exh Grin Grin
Tom68

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 05:30:14 PM »

Looks like an XL muffler, thats what mine had, got an XR250 which I think is the same as 500 removed all the rattly internals and made a new baffle, light enough and looks original.
b490

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 08:36:24 PM »

Not a full restoration planned for this one yet , as I want to take the bike to Rockley Vinduro for a mate to ride .
 Just doing mostly mechanical stuff for now . ie ; brakes ,  steering / susp bushes & bearings , service  all bits as nec
 motor will be getting  a good look over  & some attention as well .
[img][/img]

Fabricated some  new front & rear lower chain guide nylon rubbing blocks .

SteadyT120

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 05:15:54 PM »

Lookin good !! makes me want to find time to do some work on my old TT350.
Cheers Steady
b490

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 08:37:48 PM »

Cheers .....SteadyT120,
Bike is starting to tidy up OK .
 No garage Queen  ( my bikes are  for riding ) Wink  Grin  
 I will probably repaint frame later on ( in warmer months ,over summer )
  Just going through the bike from one end to the other & fixing /replacing what's needed . Wink

b490

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 09:29:59 PM »

gave the bike a test run on Saturday
 Should be good to go with my IT490 for Rockley Vinduro in July
 a couple of pics with my mate Mark on board , cutting a few laps

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: