Author Topic: 73 sl125 timing adjustment  (Read 510 times)

Offline trex

73 sl125 timing adjustment
« on: August 06, 2018, 06:26:52 PM »
Hey Yall,
Brand new to motorcycles, working on them and asking for help in forums. So here goes; I attempted to adjust the timing on my 73 sl125 as it was running a little rough and was fairly difficult to get started. I followed the instructions in the manual. I tried to hook up a test light and couldn't get it to light up at all. I advanced the timing and it seemed to make it much easier to start but then it seemed to run at higher RPMS, the tach currently is not working so I'm not sure how high. It also wouldn't really idle before but by adjusting the idle screw on the carb I could sortof get it to idle. I opened up the carb and it looked pretty clean but I completely take it apart. I know I need a new throttle cable but it seemed to just be reving up on it's own. I re-adjusted the timing and now it won't kick start. I can bump start it but now the throttle doesn't seem to be giving it any gas. Any suggestions?

Offline dont

Re: 73 sl125 timing adjustment
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:02:23 PM »
I'm not familiar with the model but assume its a points ignition. Have you dealt with points ignitions before? They can be cantankerous things! If the contact part looks badly pitted try to get new points, otherwise try to get a smooth even surface using fine wet and dry abrasive paper on a paddle pop stick (or similar). Maybe clean them with an electric contact cleaner or metho. Make sure the max gap is correctly set then go thru the timing procedure again. If uou have standard settings for thr carb maybe set the carb accordingly. Also check there is engine compression, maybe check the valve timing and valve clearances while at it.