Author Topic: Info on KDX175-B  (Read 3153 times)

Offline SteveACT

Re: Info on KDX175-B
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2018, 06:30:02 PM »
Well, its alive!! Started 4th kick after 5 or so years. A few little holes in the exhaust to fix up though. Then the fuel tank sprang a leak! Back to the drawing board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBtPpvwSFpI&feature=youtu.be

Pretty happy to say the least.

Cheers
Steve

Offline fred99999au

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2018, 12:17:57 AM »
Sounds sharp mate. I was riding one on Saturday on a mates property. Other mate who owned it couldnt start it since he bought it a while ago, so we had spark, so we pulled the carb apart after 4 or so beers, cleaned it, used soft copper wire through the jets gently, straightened the float bar and put a lot of solvent through it and it ran for the first time for my mate with a push down hill.

I then took my 12 year old for several laps of the paddock just to make sure it was clean up on the pipe...

2 prods yesteday with kicker and the choke and it started and idled after being left out overnight.

Sweet as a nut bike.

Offline SteveACT

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2018, 06:05:14 PM »
Thanks fred - yeah I can feel its got a bit of go in it. Cant wait to get it onto my mates property to clean out all the shit in the exhaust. My 13 year old was running round like a headless chook with excitement which was great to see. Found out later that his mum had bet him $10.00 that it wouldn't start. Oh ye of little faith! To be honest I was a tad excited too.

I suspect I may either need new clutch plates or I can free them once its going on the grass. Its been sat for so long. Had the clutch in, put it into gear and it stalled.

Also made the mistake of using JB weld on the hairline split in the tank. Came back out an hour later to find a puddle or petrol.

Its all good fun.

Cheers
Steve

Offline dont

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2018, 10:58:19 PM »
I'm really glad to hear its starting! Bugger about the tank. Just from reading and listening to others, if I get a split in any of my plastic tanks I'll be hunting for a replacement. Clutch should free, maybe ask the doubting wife to give you a push while you put it into 1st then roost her ?

Offline SteveACT

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2018, 12:23:21 PM »
Thanks Dont. I think I'll hunt down a replacement tank. Shame though I spent hours polishing this one. Ah well, gets me out of the house. I saw one at Joes Wreckers in Fyshwick last month on a decent looking KX they were wrecking. Will keep you posted. Any cheap/quick tips to bung up a few holes in the exhaust bend?
Cheers
Steve

P.S. If I did that to my wife I would be banished to the shed for ever! That'd be a shame!

Offline dont

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2018, 10:02:46 AM »
A friend in Yass might have one too, I'll ask. Don

Offline SteveACT

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2018, 11:48:12 AM »
Thanks Dont. Appreciate it. He wouldnt happen to have a seat and rear mudguard too would he?  ;D

Dont happen to know Wayne and Brendan Boulding do you?

Cheers
Steve

Offline dont

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2018, 07:10:44 PM »
No luck I'm afraid.
Dont know either 😐

Offline SteveACT

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »
Not to worry Don. Thanks for asking.
Cheers
Steve

Offline SteveACT

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »
Kickstart is still playing up so took the casing off again. There is a slight, maybe half to 1 mill gap in the two sets of teeth on the kickstart ratchet. Will post a pic later.
I put the shaft in and there is way too much play. Its as if the end that goes into the case is too small for the hole. It clearly looks smaller so when the spring is in place its pulling it away from the cog. (unless you apply some pressure with your thumb). At first I thought I might have been missing a needle bearing from the hole in the case where the end of the shaft fits in but looking at all the schematic diagrams and photos of casings on line there isnt one...just a hole going through to the left hand side casing. To be honest im at a loss and am on the verge of giving up on it. The only thing I can think of is to take the kickstart assembly to my local wreckers and ask to see one that they have to compare. I then thought the shaft might be bent so the cogs dont engage how they should but it looks straight to my eye. When the casing is back on and tight the kickstart engages every time with slight pressure when using your hand. As soon as you put your foot on it it just goes straight down 90% of the time. I aint starting the bloody thing with my hand! Its doing my head in! Sick of looking at the thing.

The leaking tank cant be fixed. I even tried a hot iron and melted the plastic up to cover the hairline split on the seam. Worked for a few hours then started weeping again.

Whilst I had the casing off I took the clutch apart and, yes the plates were stuck together. I split them easily and soaked them overnight so they should be ok now. I also found 6 washers underneath the springs that dont appear on any of the schematics. Close up you can tell someone has made them because they have ground off one side of all 6 washers so they fit within the circular basket. Very crude but obviously done for a reason. Dont forget this bike lived on a property 2-3 hours NE of Bourke so not many parts/internet shopping available back then. Its obviously a fix for a dodgy clutch. I put them back in as I know the bike (and clutch) worked when it was last ran 5 years ago. Also took pics of these which I will put up tonight.

So now its just sitting in the shed in bits looking very sad for itself. I just want to ride the bloody thing! Very frustrating but I guess thats part and parcel for a 37 year old bike.

Cheers
Steve

Offline SteveACT

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2018, 09:17:31 PM »
Heres a pic of the kickstart ratchet and the home made clutch washers!!!

Are the kick start ratchet teeth cactus? Or can they be flat sanded as KDXGeoff suggested? I did also notice on the schematics diagrams that there is meant to be another washer that sits on top after the circlip. See here, its number 92022C. It doesnt make sense as there would be nothing holding it in place and would fall through the hole to the left hand side of the engine:

http://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/1981/kdx175-kdx175-a2/kickstarter-mechanism-81-82-a2-a3

What do you think of the home made washers? There ain't none on here:

http://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/1981/kdx175-kdx175-a2/clutch-81-82-a2-a3

Im confused!

Cheers
Steve

Offline dont

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2018, 05:54:42 PM »
I think the extra washers in the clutch are a common 'fix' for worn plates and/or springs.
The missing washer on the kick shaft would be a spacer/thrust washer, I'd consider it essential. Does the socket/bush that the shaft sits in show signs of enlargement to the od of the spline?

Offline SteveACT

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2018, 10:59:46 AM »
Thanks Dont. Thought that might be the case regarding the washers in the clutch.

I took the shaft into Joes wreckers in Fyshwick (you may have heard of them). He said the teeth on the ratchet are fine. Hes seen worse with working kickstarts. He doubted there should be a washer that sits loose on top.?? He did suggest  to look at the hole on the actual case to see if it has ovalled over time but it looks fine to my eyes. Who knows. I dont have to tools to measure diameters. I will try grabbing a washer to go on the top and see if that stops the play.

You dont happen to know anyone in Canberra that may lend an eye to see what its doing?

To be honest im in two minds to sell it as is and move on. Cant decide whether to spend the money on a replacement tank, seat and mudguard if I cant get the kickstart fixed. Unfortunately my brother in law who gave the bike to me (who is a welder/machinist metal worker etc) doesnt appear interested in helping out or even looking at it.

Cheers
Steve

Offline dont

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2018, 09:58:46 PM »
Sending a pm.