Author Topic: New member Husky 400WR  (Read 2388 times)

Offline ajcmbrown

Re: New member Husky 400WR
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 11:04:44 AM »
Still waiting on my exhaust to be repaired, that is holding things up a bit, I had hoped to run it on the weekend, instead I have had to spend time on other areas.
One positive though is the ignition works, I was a bit dubious about the SEM (sometimes electricity made) ignition, but it has a spark, not a big fat blue one but these never did at kick starter speed.
New kill switch, the original didn't test well so in the bin with it, I've seen too many kill switches cause drama over the years.
Motor is all buttoned up and ready to start, hopefully one evening this week, gotta love daylight savings!

Offline ajcmbrown

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 11:12:34 AM »
It lives! Finally I had all of the little "rats and mice" stuff to enable me to start this bike. After fitting the tank and adding fuel (after draining the treacle out) it promptly spewed fuel all over the floor of my garage. It then dawned on me that one of the only parts of this bike that I haven't touched is the carburetor, very optimistic on my part!
After cleaning out the carb, including the gum that was preventing the floats from floating, cleaning all jets and passageways and refitting it, two kicks later and it fires and runs like it has never been apart. It even idles.
By this time of the evening it was too dark to give it a run around the property so that may be tonight's effort.
Sadly it isn't ready for Yass, another week would have been good, or maybe if I had been a little less distracted, it would have been ready earlier. I still intend to be at Yass as a spectator and will try to get some pics while I'm there.
I guess the aim from here is to try to do a whole Vinduro season from start to finish next year as a "debut" for the old girl, and the old man!

Offline ajcmbrown

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 10:42:13 AM »
After a few more surprises, I have now done Yass, Canowindra and Braidwood on this bike. I still need to do some tinkering/fine tuning but it rides great (except for those who haven't learned how to kick start a left kicker! Sorry Pete.  ::) ) but I love it.
My only criticism, if it even is one, is that the 400 may not be the ideal size engine for these tight tracks.
The cosmetics were always a let down on this bike so I've been concentrating on tarting the old girl up. New decals and seat cover made a huge difference, photos to follow.
Tony.

Offline ajcmbrown

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
My first real ride revealed an even more sinister issue, the steel sleeves in the rear of the crankcases were loose, very loose!
It became obvious when adjusting the chain, tight, loose and tight again, pulling up and down revealed the rear of the engine moving around in the frame!

So after removing the engine again, this is what I found!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbV9nXtLiNQ

Both sides turned out to be the same. Running a loose swingarm bolt can cause this, so I sourced a 430 crankcase half and a 500 crankcase half from Evilbay USA.

Well I did toss up whether or not to pull this motor apart just to see what I was dealing with but hadn't planned on doing it quite this soon, I was told it had been rebuilt and that was proven to be true with a new rod and piston etc.

So completely dismantle one engine only to build it again in another set of cases, I'm just glad it's a two stroke.
A couple of hours later.....

Now to fit it all up, and just in time for Yass. Engine back in on Friday evening, load up and head to Yass first thing Saturday!

I had some reservations about not test riding it before heading out for my first loop but apart from a dragging clutch it ran flawlessly. Huge sigh of relief.
Tony.

Offline ajcmbrown

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 12:32:00 AM »
Three Vinduros done with no issues besides a dragging clutch, now rectified. Loving the torque of this old Husky, it just pulls from crazy low revs that are not considered normal for a two stroke.
The weekend past, I was out at Don's pre season fettle near Gunning so I decided to try the Up-Tite pipe that I won on Fleabay a while ago.
Now I did try this pipe once with the shortened muffler that came with the bike and hated it. All bottom end power with not much above about 3,000 rpm, had serious doubts about how I could use this pipe since the original pipe was just a little too beat up.
I decided to try the pipe one more time with an original length muffler that was about 150mm longer.
What a transformation! Huge mid range gains, still very tractable at low revs and will still rev out like the original pipe.
I couldn't have imagined what a difference this pipe/muffler made to this bike!
Thanks Don, I had a great day (apart form a leaking fork seal) and was home in time to earn some brownie points.
Tony.